Thursday, December 9, 2010

I have a Problem

                
“I have a problem. I wonder if you could tell me the best way to go about solving it?” I sound so sincere, even though by now I’ve used that line hundreds of times when returning something. People always seem willing to work on the solution.
            Today it was an ugly mark on a dress I just bought. Yesterday it was a worn spot on a pair of shoes I wore for a year.  The day before I just didn’t like the color of my new Microwave, it wasn’t the same color as the rest of the kitchen.  Once I returned a new leather purse with a grease stain on it from a chocolate chip cookie my three-year-old put there. The store where it was purchased was uncooperative, the stain wasn’t caused by a defect in the leather, so I went to a small shop that specialized in that brand of leather goods. They gave me a new purse and all they asked was that I buy my next one from them.   Technology like bar codes and computerized inventory controls only make it more challenging for me. I’ve thought about writing a book, “Returning Things For Dummies.”
            The thing I don’t understand is; why doesn’t my family act like the people in retail. If I could only convince myself that all the world is a gigantic shopping mall and everyone a clerk. Then, I would only have to utter those words, ““I have a problem. I wonder if you could tell me the best way to go about solving it?” No, it will never work.

No comments:

Post a Comment